About Dr Mike Gow
Mike Gow BDS (Gla) MFDS RCPS (Gla) MScHyp (Lon) PGCert (Lon)
Dr Mike Gow is a general dental practitioner and a Clinical Director of Dental Anxiety Management unit at The Berkeley Clinic in Glasgow. Mike's main focus in his work is in helping people overcome their fear of dentistry. He has trained and studied extensively in a wide range of techniques to ensure that he is able to meet the individual needs of his patients.
Mike graduated from Glasgow University’s Dental School in 1999 and is a Member of the Faculty of Dentistry at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Glasgow). He has a Masters in Hypnosis Applied to Dentistry from the University of London and a Postgraduate Certificate in the Management of Dental Anxiety from the University of Edinburgh. He is also a certified NeuroLinguistic Programming Practitioner and has undertaken training in a variety of techniques ranging from Advanced Local Anaesthetic technique to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. For full details of the anxiety management services he can offer, please click here.
Mike has published many papers on subjects including hypnosis, dental phobia management and bruxism. Recently he had a chapter published in the book 'The Fearful Patient: A Guide to Understanding and Managing' (Ed by Prof. A. Weiner). Mike has appeared on TV on a number of occasions demonstrating the use of hypnosis in dental pain control.
When away from work, Mike enjoys spending time with his wife and four young children. He enjoys travelling and goes fishing when he can.
Professional positions held:
- Past President (2008-10) “The British Society of Medical and Dental Hypnosis (Scotland)”.
- President Elect of “The British Society of Medical and Dental Hypnosis (Scotland)”.
- President and founder of "The International Society of Dental Anxiety Management" (ISDAM).
- Chairman of The "23rd World Congress on Psychosomatic Medicine" (Glasgow 2015).
- Trades Master of The Incorporation of Barbers at The Trades House of Glasgow
- Executive Member of The Henry Noble History of Dentisty Research Group.
- Honorary Editor of Dentistry Magazine
- Honorary Editor of Dentistry Scotland Magazine
- Best Treatment of Nervous Patients, The Private Dentistry Awards 2013
- Best Scheme for Treatment of Nervous Patients, Dentistry Scoland Awards 2013
- Practice of the Year UK, The Dentistry Awards 2013
- Private Practice of the Year UK, The Private Dentistry Awards 2013
- Practice of the Year (North), The Private Dentistry Awards 2013
- Outstanding Individual of the Year - Dentistry Scotland 2012
- Dentist of the Year (N) - The Dental Awards 2012
- Voted 6th most influential dentist in the UK by readers of ‘Dentistry’ magazine in 2009.
- Best Young Dentist Scotland - The Dentistry Awards 2008
- Best Young Dentist UK - The Dentistry Awards 2008
- Voted 66th most influential dentist in the UK by readers of ‘Dentistry’ magazine in 2008.
If you are suffering from dental anxiety and looking for an experienced dentist who could help you to tackle your dental fears contact Dr Mike Gow on 0141 564 1900.